Throughout the month of October, we encourage the community to organise fundraising events to help Assistance Dogs Australia train highly-intelligent, specially bred dogs to help people living with disabilities across Australia. We thought Dogtober was a cute name for this special month.
Just as puppies come in all shape and sizes, so can your fundraising event/s.
You can fundraise any way you like during Dogtober, but some of our fundraising suggestions include:
- Dog’s Bake-Off: Host a baking competition for dog treats — or better yet, for humans — and sell the entries for morning tea.
- Hot Diggity Dogs: Everyone loves a sausage sizzle!
- Raffle: Ask local businesses for support through donated items.
- Bring your dog to work day: Pay for the privilege, it will be the best work day you’ve ever had.
- Howl-o-ween-Party: Dress up in spooky costumes.
- Head/beard/moustache shave: Ask someone really hairy for help! It could be a win-win situation.
- Photo contest: Run a competition for all animal lovers to take a photo of their pet with themes such as fluffiest pet, who looks the most like their owner, and funniest caption.
- Slush Puppies: Run a lemonade stand or something similar on a sunny day.
- Trivia/Bingo: An after-work activity that everyone will want to join.
- Dress down day: Ask everyone for a donation to come dressed casually.
- Guessing games: For example, guess the weight of the puppy?
- Dog colouring-in competition: Get your employees’ families involved.
- DIY origami dog competition: Good for laughs! Or to discover a hidden talent.
- Fun games: Like egg and spoon race, or tug-o-war.
- Ask your workplace to match staff’s donations: Ask management if each dollar raised by staff can be matched.
Your ‘do’ can be as big or small as you like-it’s really up to you. Most of all, have fun!
Other Fundraising Occasions
Dogtober isn’t the only time of year you can fundraise for us. Check out our list of other special times of the year that you can organise a fundraiser on.
If you have never run a fundraiser before, or need a refresher, here is our handy guide on how to get started. And if you need some easy fundraising ideas or even fundraising ideas to involve your pets in, we’ve got you covered.